Wednesday, February 26, 2014

throw me something mister


There are just some things you miss when you move away from home. As a SW Louisiana girl, I miss Mardi Gras at this time of year- king cake, parties, fleur de lises, and the parades. Shouting, "Throw me something mister" among the throngs of people for beads is a time honored tradition at the house. Well, if I can make it back for the great food and entertainment, I can bring a little Mardi Gras to Texas with this cute burlap bunting tutorial. Laissez le bon temps rouler.

Stamped Burlap Bunting

Gather your supplies. You'll need:
1. 1/2 yard burlap (or less)
2. craft paints
3. stamp
4. brush
5. twine
6. hot glue gun and sticks


Cut your burlap to size. My pennants are 5 in X 7 in rectangles. I made a template on card stock. Folded it in half and cut out a small triangle to my liking. This bunting had 9 pennants.






Begin by painting your stamp with the craft paint. The traditional Mardi Gras colors are purple, green, and gold. I need 3 pennants of each color for this project. If the stamp is not as even or dark as you would like, touch it up with a small paint brush. 


Here are the lovely finished pennants. Let them air dry ( or if you can't wait, use a hair dryer). Next, you'll string them together.





Cut your twine to length. Measure out the spacing for each pennant- I began with the center pennant first. To attach the pennants, lay a line of hot glue on the back on the burlap about a 1/4 in. away from top edge- apply the twine. Add a second line of hot glue along the top edge and roll it over the twine. I think it makes a more polished look. Repeat until done.
This blog is style & {im}perfection- so here's my goof: I put the pennants in reverse order (duh). Not a big deal, but if it were lettering, make sure to spell in reverse. 

If you like this tutorial, please leave a comment or feel free to pin it. You could send in your finished project too!




No comments:

Post a Comment